Each year, the annual Trains, Planes & Automobiles celebration in Geneseo offers something “old” and something “new,” from period aircraft overhead and a train engine on display, to antique cars lining the downtown streets and tours of the canal.
Each year, the annual Trains, Planes & Automobiles celebration in Geneseo offers something "old" and something "new," from period aircraft overhead and a train engine on display, to antique cars lining the downtown streets and tours of the canal.
The seventh-annual event will be Sept. 6-8 and is sponsored by the Geneseo Chamber of Commerce.
"New" this year, is a drive-in movie on Friday, Sept. 7, at the Geneseo Park District Athletic Field on North Street.
The family-friendly film "Cars" will be shown at dusk. There will be no charge to movie-goers and refreshments from Culver's in Geneseo will be available to purchase.
The three-day celebration begins Sept. 6, at Gen-Air when the Geneseo Airport pilots host the National Stearman Fly-In. The public is invited to see the World War II airplanes at the airport.
The Gen-Air Park Airport is located east of Geneseo on U.S. Route 6.
The fall event also features "Cruise the Canal," tours of the historic Hennepin Canal on Sept. 7.
Brian DeJohn, executive director of the Geneseo Chamber, said, "We started the tours at Trains, Planes & Automobiles three years ago, and they continue to be such a big hit, we are including them again this year."
"The guided tours were suggested by chamber member Brett Lohman and they are a great asset to the weekend activities, and give people an opportunity to see and hear all the Hennepin has to offer, from facts about the history of the canal as well as exciting new information about 'Renaissance Hennepin Canal,' which is an effort to rehabilitate the locks between Sterling and Geneseo to once again make them navigable," he said.
The tours will last approximately 90 minutes, departing at 8:30 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 and 4 p.m. on Sept. 7 from Lock No. 24, north of Geneseo. Parking is available where the tours begin. Those planning to take the tour should bring bug spray and sunscreen.
Trains, Planes & Automobiles will conclude Sept. 8, and highlights of the day include a car show sponsored by the Maple City Cruisers, when approximately 300 classic cars will line the downtown streets.
Trains Planes & Automobiles' schedule of events is as follows:
Thursday, Sept. 6
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Gen-Air Stearman Fly-In at Gen-Air Airport.
Friday, Sept. 7
• "Cruise the Canal" with tours beginning at 8:30 and 11 a.m. and again at 1:30 and 4 p.m.
• Family-friendly movie at dusk at Geneseo Park District Athletic Field.
Saturday, Sept. 8
• 8 a.m. to noon — Farmers' Market in the Geneseo City Park.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Food vendors, locomotive on display, wood turning demonstration, car show, model train display, and more in downtown Geneseo.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Geneseo Historical Museum will be open for tours.
• Noon — Downtown ceremony by members of the Maple City Cruisers to honor military personnel.
• 1:30 p.m. — Free movie, "American Graffiti" at Central Theater.
• 2 p.m. — Car show trophy presentations, downtown.
For more information about any of the activities or reserve a cart for "Cruise the Canal," call the Chamber office, (309) 944-2686.