Halloween activities and Trick-or-Treat hours set in Henry County
Area communities and organizations offer an array of ways to celebrate Halloween in Henry County.
Geneseo Republic - Geneseo, IL
Updated Oct. 26, 2012 @ 3:16 pm
Updated Oct. 26, 2012 @ 3:16 pm
» Social News
Area communities and organizations offer an array of ways to celebrate Halloween in Henry County. Local events include:
• Trick-or-treat at the Henry County Courthouse — Children are invited to trick-or-treat at the Henry County Courthouse in Cambridge from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 26. Children can tour the hall and learn history about the courthouse while trick-or-treating at the various departments. The event is sponsored by the Henry County Employee Booster Club.
• Ghost Tales at Geneseo's Izaak Walton League — Members of the Geneseo Izaak Walton League will host a "Ghost Tales" event starting at 5 p.m. Oct. 27 at the Izaak Walton Park north of Geneseo. The event will include family entertainment for all ages, including complimentary chili, hot dogs and s'mores. There will be pumpkin decorating and scary storytelling will start at 6:30 p.m. The event is open to the public.
• Colona Library After-Hours Fall Festival — The Colona Public Library will host an after-hours fall festival from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 27 at the library. Area residents are invited to visit the library dressed in costume. The event will include crafts, treats and games and prizes for all ages. Rick Eugene will be on hand to create balloon sculptures.
• Geneseo's Boo-tiful Saturday — The Geneseo Chamber of Commerce will host 'Boo-tiful Saturday' in downtown Geneseo from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 27. Children are invited to dress in costume and Trick-or-Treat with their parents at various retailers.
• Geneseo Library Make-and-Take Harvest Craft Hour — The Geneseo Public Library will host a make-and-take harvest craft hour from 11 a.m. to noon Oct. 27 at the library. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
• Trick-or-Treat Trail at Black Hawk College's East Campus — On Oct. 30, Black Hawk College's East Campus near Kewanee will transform itself for the 17th year into the "Trick-or-Treat Trail" for children ages pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. The event will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will feature a gnome garden, haunted bookcases, spooky science experiments and more. The Student Life Office will host a costume contest for resident horses at the college. Employees and student will dress in costumes, decorate the college hallways, distribute treats and host a haunted horse barn. Costumes are optional. Children and their parents are asked to check in at the front entrance of the main building.
• Haunted Halloween Hustle in Orion — Orion Main Street will host the Haunted Halloween Hustle starting at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 31 with refreshments at the Orion Fire Station. A parade through the Main Street business district will start at 4 p.m. Adults, teens, youth, preschoolers and babies in strollers are invited to participate.
• Andover Trick-or-Treat Hours — Trick-or-Treat hours in Andover will be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 31. A party will follow from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Andover Village Hall. Costume judging will start at 6:15 p.m.
• Annawan Trick-or-Treat Hours — Children may participate in Halloween Trick-or-Treating in Annawan from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31.
• Atkinson Trick-or-Treat Hours — Atkinson's Trick-or-Treat hours will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 31.
• Cambridge Trick-or-Treat Hours — Children may participate in Trick-or-Treating from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 31 in Cambridge.
• Colona Trick-or-Treat Hours — Children may participate in Trick-or-Treating in Colona from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31.
• Geneseo Trick-or-Treat Hours — Trick-or-Treat hours in Geneseo will be from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 31.
• Orion Trick-or-Treat Hours — Trick-or-Treat hours in Orion will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Oct. 31.
• Trunk-or-Treat at First Lutheran in Geneseo — Members of First Lutheran Church in Geneseo will host a 'Trunk-or-Treat' event in the church parking lot from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 31. Children in costume may Trick-or-Treat by going from car trunk to car trunk to get their bag filled with goodies. Trunks will be decorated. Church members also will serve free hot dogs and hot chocolate. The public is invited.
• Mummer's Parade in Geneseo — The annual Halloween night Mummer's Parade, sponsored by the Don Cherry VFW Post No. 5083 Auxiliary, will start at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 at the intersection of State and First streets in downtown Geneseo. Those in costume are invited to participate. Prizes will be awarded in various categories.
• Lighted Halloween Display in Geneseo — A lighted Halloween display, set to music, can be viewed, weather permitting, each evening through the first weekend in November in Geneseo. Carl and Brenda Johnson of Geneseo have created the display in the front yard of their home, located at 533 E. Park St. The 27-minute show runs continuously from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Outside the home, spectators can listen to the show's accompanying music by tuning their car radio dial to 104.1 FM.