Florence O. Peterson, 99, of Andover, died Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, Silvis. Funeral services were held Sunday, March 30 at Augustana Lutheran Church, Andover. Burial was in Andover Cemetery. A visitation was held prior to services at the church. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Augustana Church, Andover Historical Society or Jenny Lind Chapel.
She was born on Sept. 19, 1913, in Woodhull, the daughter of Elmer and Ida (Engstrom) Johnson. She attended Woodhull and Alpha schools and graduated from Woodhull High School in 1930. She was baptized and confirmed at Bethany Lutheran Church in Woodhull. She married Ivan Peterson on June 29, 1935, at Augustana Church. He died in 2001. She was a farm wife and homemaker.
Florence was a member of Augustana Church where she was active in WELCA. She was a founding member of both the Andover Historical Society and the Jenny Lind Chapel Board. She also was a member of the Andover American Legion Auxiliary, Andover School Mother’s Club and a Cub Scouts den mother. Her hobby was researching family and Andover history. She was a loyal Illini boys’ basketball fan.
Survivors include sons, David (Debra) Peterson of Andover and Ronald (Eilene) Peterson of Andover; grandchildren, Mandy Peterson of Andover, David Peterson Jr. of Andover, Laura (Brad) Rickey of Geneseo and Craig (Doris) Peterson of Sycamore; great grandchildren, Allison and Ashley Rickey and Karl and Eva Peterson. She was preceded in death by her husband, parents, three brothers and three sisters.
A special thanks to the people who provided her wonderful care: Cara Craft, Nancy Zurcher, Laura Cooper, Betty Blake and Illini Restorative Care.