After some changes last year, the 2013 Geneseo Music Festival will return to a three-day event and a more familiar schedule.
A major change to last year's festivities was having the parade on Saturday, rather than on Sunday, as had been the custom since the festival's beginning, and the absence of craft vendors in city park.
Both the Sunday parade and the park craft show will return to the 2013 festival line-up.
"Dream Big - The Sky is the Limit" is the theme of this year's parade which is sponsored by DHCU Community Credit Union, and will start at 2 p.m. June 16, from Geneseo High School travel south along State Street to the Geneseo
Brian DeJohn, executive director of the Geneseo Chamber of Commerce, said it was DHCU's decision to move the parade back to a Sunday afternoon feature.
"As a sponsor, it was up to them to decide which day worked, and they chose to slide it back to Sunday," he said. "I think having it on Sunday may allow us to bring back some entries."
Missing from last year, but returning this year, will be the arts and crafts show in city park. The craft show will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on June 15.
"We heard from public opinion that most people enjoyed having arts and crafts in the park," said DeJohn.
In previous years, the craft show was held more than one day, but DeJohn said it was the crafters themselves who expressed the choice of a one-day show.
New to this year's schedule will be the "Family Fun Zone," from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on June 15. The fun zone will be on Pearl Street between the north and south sides of the city park.
The Family Fun Zone will feature live alpacas from Deitricks' Alpaca Ranch; face painting; a FFA and Ag Alumni pedal pull at noon; sidewalk chalk; arts and crafts with Growth Inc.; Bright Beginnings duck pond; Geneseo Park District sports carnival which includes SNAG golf, pickle ball, quick start tennis, basketball; and a Central Theater cartoon tent.
"Our thought was to try something new last year, but, admittedly, it didn't work the way we'd envisioned so we are returning to a more traditional approach with this year's schedule," DeJohn said.
The 2013 Music Festival schedule is:
• 4 to 8 p.m. — Grandma's Attic on the grounds of First Congregational United Church of Christ.
• 6 p.m. — Kiwanis Club Doo Dah Parade.
• 6 p.m. — Rotary Club supper and ice cream social in the city park.
Page 2 of 2 - • 6:30 p.m. — Introduction of Little Miss Henry County Fair Queen pageant contestants in the city park bandshell.
• 7 p.m. — Music Festival Queen contest, sponsored by the Geneseo Rotary Club in the city park bandshell. (Rain location is Geneseo Middle School.
• 8 a.m. to noon — Geneseo Farmers Market in the North City Park.
• 8 a.m. — Maple City 4 Run, starts at Geneseo High School.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Antique tractor show in the North City Park.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Grandma's Attic on the grounds of First Congregational United Church of Christ.
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Arts and crafts in the Geneseo City Park.
• 10 a.m. — Maple Leaf Squares (square dancing) in the bandshell.
• 11 a.m. — Artists in Motion in the city park.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Family Fun Zone on Pearl Street by the city park.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Pork chop dinner in the city park sponsored by the Ag Alumni and Geneseo FFA.
• Noon — Pedal pull at the Family Fun Zone on Pearl Street.
• 12:30 p.m. — "Jazz on the Side" in the bandshell.
• 2 p.m. — "Boot Hill Band" in the bandshell.
• 5:30 p.m. — Steak sandwich and tenderloin sandwich supper in the city park, sponsored by the VFW Post No. 5083 and auxiliary.
• 5:30 p.m. — Ice cream social in the city park sponsored by Geneseo Communications to benefit the Aisle of Flags.
• 6:30 p.m. — Ty Bates, 2011 Georgia Country Artist of the Year in the city park. Free admission.
• 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. — Fly-In/Drive-In pancake breakfast at Gen-Air Park.
• 8 a.m. to noon — Antique tractor show in the North City Park.
• 10:30 a.m. — Community worship service in the city park led by First Untied Methodist Church.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. —Musician Shaun Easton in the bandshell.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — "Pork on a Fork" luncheon served by Elizabeth Anns Kitchen of Geneseo.
• 2 p.m. — Parade. The theme is "Dream Big - The Sky is the Limit."