This week’s suggestions include biking, seeing the new “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie, celebrating Armed Forces Day and more.
1. Today is National Bike to Work Day, a time when people are encouraged to ditch their automobiles and commute with their bikes if possible. You can ride an old-timey bike, a fancy new version with shocks – whatever, just bike! It’s good for your health and for the environment.
2. There’s only one big movie opening this week, and it’s a really big one: the latest “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie, “On Stranger Tides.” The film is rated PG-13 and again stars Johnny Depp, and the whole family should be entertained by this swashbuckling film.
3. According to the Family Radio group, Saturday is the day of the Rapture, and whether you believe in the prophesy or not, you can make Friday night a night to remember. Do something that’s on your bucket list, spend the evening at home with your family, watch some doomsday movies – just take some time to appreciate life.
4. Saturday is Armed Forces Day, a day to honor those serving our country in the military. Check the newspaper for events in your town, or check out the official site, http://www.defense.gov/afd/, for more information.
5. Also Saturday is the Preakness Stakes, the second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown. Watch as Animal Kingdom, the Kentucky Derby winner, tries to keep his Triple Crown hopes alive, hold a Derby-style party or place a bet – even if it’s just among friends for bragging rights.
GateHouse News Service