Few details in second shooting at Galva home

Doug Boock
Police are looking into a second shooting which has taken place at this Galva home. Early Monday morning, Oct. 27, an unidentified man was shot at the residence.

Legal authorities aren’t revealing much information about a shooting at a Galva residence on Sunday, Oct. 26, the second middle-of-the-night shooting at that home in six months.

Rene Sandoval, an Illinois State Police officer in East Moline, confirmed Oct. 28 that a 9-1-1 call had been placed about 2:30 a.m. Monday for the shooting at 12 Northwest Fourth Street. A 44-year-old male had reportedly been shot.

But Sandoval refused to identify him as Robert Daum, who was shot in the buttocks through a bedroom window while sleeping on April 26. Daum was identified in April as being 44 years old.

“There’s not much we can tell you at this time because it’s an active investigation,” Sandoval said Tuesday. “We can confirm that we are doing an investigation with the Galva Police and the Henry County Sheriff’s Department.”

Sandoval, who said the shooting victim was not killed, offered very little other information.

“I totally understand your concerns,” he said when told of residents’ interest in the case, “but from a law enforcement aspect, our focus is to apprehend this person (shooter) and we don’t want to jeopardize this case. At this point, it’s still pretty fresh and we want to work it.”

Galva Bishop Hill Ambulance Service transported the victim to Kewanee Hospital. He was later taken to another hospital; unconfirmed reports say it was in Peoria. The extent of his injuries and his current condition have not been released. Neither has there been a report of whether other occupants were in the home at the time of the shooting, or whether other damage occurred.

The home is located right along North Center Avenue, on the north side of Northwest Fourth Street.

Galva Police Chief Jerry Clark said Tuesday that state police and the sheriff’s department are doing the primary investigation of Sunday’s shooting. Authorities were on the scene much of Monday.

At the time of the April shooting Galva Police called it “targeted, not random,” and therefore something that residents didn’t need to fear.

No apprehensions had been made after the April shooting.

The April shooting caught the attention of many local residents, since it was the first shooting in Galva since 1982. In that incident, Bruce Nelson died of a gunshot wound at his home, located on the northwest side of Galva Park District.