Celebrate the season at Geneseo's Christmas Walk
Each year Christmas Walk festivities and activities offer something for everyone – young and old alike.
The Christmas parade will kick off the evening activities at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8 with lighted themed floats from local businesses, organizations and individuals also will be showcased in the parade which will proceed through downtown Geneseo, from north to south, and conclude at the Geneseo Historical Museum.
Grace United Methodist Church will serve as the parade staging area. While waiting to line up, parade participants as well as visitors and residents of the community are invited to warm up in the church foyer and enjoy a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a cookie.
Santa Claus will wrap up the parade, riding on a fire truck to the intersection of State and Second streets where he will join Geneseo Mayor Kathy Carroll-Duda to light the city’s Christmas tree.
Santa will visit with children from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Geneseo Manor, 217 South State St.
New this year is the treasure hunt “Wanna Build a Snowman?” From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. children, accompanied by a parent or adult, can visit various downtown locations to collect pieces for a three-dimensional snowman.
Members of the Geneseo Evangelical Free Church will serve hot chocolate and give free Bibles to visitors near the Mel Foster Co. office on State Street.
First Baptist members will operate a warming station at State and Second streets and provide free hot cider and goody bags.
American Family Insurance also will be a warming station and will feature free coffee, cocoa and cookies.
The State Farm Agency at 113 S. State St. will have free cookies and hot chocolate.
Staff members at Ed.U, located at 200 S. State, rear entrance, will provide free candy canes.
Members of the Geneseo Model Railroaders Club will have train displays on exhibit in the Wirth Inc. building at the corner of Exchange and Oakwood.
Events this year include:
• 7:30 a.m. - Registration for Jingle Run at The Victory Center
• 8:30 a.m. Jingle Run 5K starts
• 9 to 11 a.m. - Cookie walk and bake sale at Concordia Lutheran Church
• 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Shopping throughout Geneseo
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Lunch and bowling with Santa at Happy Joe’s/Lee’s Lanes. (There is a cost for this.)
• 1:45 p.m. - Doors open for “White Christmas” sing along at Central Theater (There will be a freewill donation for the Geneseo Community Chest.)
• 3 to 5 p.m. - Family Activities Downtown - Making Reindeer Food at My Moon Creations, Kids’ Crafts at Smith Studio and Kids’ alcohol ink ornament at the Geneseo Art League
• 3 p.m. - Geneseo Middle School concert at First Congregational Church
• 3:30 p.m. - Southwest School concert at First Congregational Church
• 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. - Concordia Handbell Choir at Musical Memories
• 4 to 7 p.m. - Pasta supper at First Lutheran Church
• 4 to 7 p.m. - Soup supper at First United Methodist Church
• 4 to 7 p.m. - Brats, hot dogs, barbecue, chili and vegetable soup at First Presbyterian Church
• 4 to 8 p.m. - Geneseo Chamber Information Center at Hanford Insurance Building. Christmas card stamping available
• 4 p.m. - Millikin School concert at First Congregational Church
• 4:30 p.m. - Northside School concert at First Congregational Church
• 5 to 5:45 p.m. Christmas cartoons at Central Theatre
• 5 p.m. Christmas Walk Parade - Parade starts at North State & Brown Streets and travels south to the Geneseo Museum
• 5:45 p.m. (approximately) - Children are invited to join Santa and Geneseo Mayor Kathy Carroll-Duda to light the Christmas tree on State Street Boulevard, near the museum.
• 6 p.m. - Constance Deal’s violin students’ concert at First Congregational Church
• 6 p.m. - Geneseo Community Choir will perform at the Geneseo Historical Museum
• 6 p.m. - “This is Not a Recital” recital at Musical Memories
• 6 to 7:30 p.m. - Musical groups and living scenes at the Geneseo Historical Museum
• 6 p.m. - Madrigal Singers and Madrigal Brass will perform at Central Theater
• 6 to 8 p.m. - Living and still windows throughout downtown
• 7 to 7:30 p.m. - Visit with Santa at the Geneseo Manor (Professional pictures are available for a fee.)
• 6 to 9 p.m. - Jingle Bell Skate at the Geneseo Community Center
• 7 p.m. - Madrigal Singers and Madrigal Brass will perform at First Congregational Church
• 7:30-8:30 p.m. - Mo’s Garage Band - Dance with the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who at Musical Memories
• 8 p.m. Featured movie at Central Theater
• 8 p.m. Walk Closes