Cambridge National Honor Society initiation
Thirteen juniors were initiated into the National Honor Society chapter at Cambridge High School on Tuesday, March 3.
They were Olivia Akers, Brendan Allen, Lauren Anderson, Sarya DeLeon-Harreld, Nick Janson, Annie Johnson, Kendall Lewis, Jarrett Lund, Kaley Martin, Kiley Martin, Baylee Palmer, Victor Snook and Colton Stahl.
Senior members are Weston Brown, Wiley Hart, Kiersten Johnson, Lilly Kessinger, Kennedy Nelson, Logan Nodine, Bree Olson, Bradleigh Schaefer, Kodi Stropes and Kaiden Vinavich.
Chapter advisor Marcia Black welcomed the audience to the candle ceremony and initiation.
The evening began with senior members explaining the pillars of National Honor Society: Vinavich, scholarship; Brown, service; Kiersten Johnson, leadership, and Olson, character.
Senior members introduced the junior candidates for initiation. Superintendent Tom Akers and Principal Robert Reagan presented the juniors with certificates of membership.
The ceremony ended with juniors and seniors saying the National Honor Society pledge.
New members are:
• Olivia Akers, the daughter of Tom and Kelly Akers, is a member of the Student Advisory/Leadership Team. She is a section leader in marching band. A member of the speech team, she represented Cambridge at the state speech competition this year. She is active in drama productions in Cambridge and in area theater companies. She will be in Quad City Music Guild’s production of "Monty Python's Spamalot" in June.
• Brendan Allen is the son of Earl and Christina Allen. He plays football and baseball. He has participated in several plays and musicals at Cambridge High School. He is a member of the CHS band and choir and plays for his church’s band. He is active in the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes huddle, and in his church’s youth group.
• Lauren Anderson, the daughter of Terry and Angela Anderson. She runs cross country and track and plays basketball. This year she joined the Scholastic Bowl team and participated in the fall play. A member of Girl Scouts, she has received her Bronze and Silver awards. She is a member of the Student Advisory and Leadership Team and the prom committee.
• Sarya DeLeon-Harreld is the daughter of Phil and Sara Harreld. She is the captain of the Ridgewood softball team and a member of Iowa Premier softball. She has verbally committed to play softball at Grinnell College. She participates in Scholastic Bowl. She is a member of her church's youth group and enjoys Jazzercise.
• Nick Janson, the son of Scott and Katie Janson, runs track and cross country. He placed in sectionals for both teams in 2019. He works behind the scenes in Cambridge's musicals and plays. He has been a member of band since seventh grade. He is a member of the Lincoln Trail Conference honor band and received a Division I Superior rating in the solo and ensemble contest last year. He is active in his church, where he participates in youth group and helps with Vacation Bible School, children’s church, AWANA and Sunday school.
• Annie Johnson is the daughter of Justin and Amanda Johnson. She is active in the Cambridge FFA chapter, currently serving as recorder. She has earned two FFA chapter scholar awards. She has been in the Cambridge Champs 4-H club for the past seven years. She is a member of the Student Advisory and Leadership Team. She received the Daughters of the American Revolution Award. She is a student assistant in the after-school AIM program at Cambridge Elementary School. She works at Subway.
• Kendall Lewis is the daughter of Mike and Dawn Lewis. She is a three-sport athlete, playing volleyball, basketball and softball. She was captain of the basketball team this past season. She is also an officer in FCCLA (Future Community and Career Leaders of America). She is a member of the Student Advisory and Leadership Team. She has also gotten involved in FFA this year. She is involved in her church and enjoys the annual ice cream social. She volunteers at Hammond-Henry Hospital and waitresses at the Filling Station in Bishop Hill.
• Jarrett Lund is the son of Scott and Denise Lund. He is a member of the football and baseball teams and marching band. He is a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes and a participant in FFA activities, including trap shooting, and 4-H events as well. He traveled to Europe last summer in a school-sponsored tour. He is very involved with his church and attends youth group. He also runs his own sweet corn business and began work last summer with IFSI as a cutter.
• Kaley Martin is the daughter of Karla and Chris Rock. She is a leader of the Cambridge Park Program in the summer. She has been on the high honor roll every year and is on the Black Hawk College dean’s list as well. She enjoys working with children and animals in her free time.
• Kiley Martin is the daughter of Karla and Chris Rock. She is a member of the track team and the cheer squad, as well as the Student Advisory and Leadership Team, FCCLA and FFA. She has been on the high honor roll every year and is on the Black Hawk College dean’s list. She works as a lifeguard in the summer.
• Baylee Palmer is the daughter of Brad and Cari Palmer. She is a member of color guard, the speech team and the Scholastic Bowl team. She participates in plays and musicals. She is on the Student Advisory and Leadership Team. An active 4-H'er, she has held leadership positions, including vice president and treasurer. She is a student assistant in the AIM program.
• Victor Snook is the son of Wade and Candy Snook. He participates in football and Scholastic Bowl, and he plans to join the bass fishing team. He is a section leader in the band and sings in the choir. He is involved in FFA. He is active in his church, where he is in the choir and on the praise team. He is a farm hand for Mitch Vincent.
• Colton Stahl is the son of Lonny and Naomi Stahl. As a member of the football team last fall, he was named an Area Pacesetter by the Dispatch and Rock Island Argus. He also plays baseball. He is the FFA chapter sentinel and active in chapter events. He serves on the chain gang for the junior high football team. He also works as a lifeguard during the summer.