Vikings fall at Lewistown

Andrew Frew
Head Coach Terry Anderson talks to Cambridge varsity football players during a time-out Friday night in Lewistown. Even though Cambridge fell 28-14 in the contest, players on the team should be proud of their second half performance according to Anderson.

    The Lewistown Indians battled the Vikings in a downpour, taking a 28-14 victory on Friday, Sept. 12.  It was a tale of two halves, with Lewiston taking the first and Cambridge stopping them while recovering some lost ground in the second.

    When the Vikings started their comeback the game was already too far out of reach.

    "We had a tough time getting off the bus this week," said Coach Terry Anderson. "The first quarter Lewistown was able to capitalize on some of our mistakes and put up 21 points."

    Throughout the first quarter Lewistown scored time and time again, leaving the Vikings dazed and confused. Lewistown scored within the first four minutes of the game, and then scored twice more towards the end of a very wet first quarter. With one minute twenty-seven seconds left on the clock, the Viking defense halted another Indian drive, with a forced fumble and recovery by Marc Goodwin.

     The second quarter did not show much promise either for the Vikings. They did control the ball early on, but at the five-sixteen mark the Indians scored once again. At this point in the game the Lewistown field was more mud then grass.     These circumstances and a stingy Lewistown defense led to Patrick Morey’s mere 20 carries for 50 yards. As the quarter came to an end, Ryan Prevost intercepted the ball which gave the Vikings momentum for the second half.

    "The second half we seemed re-energized and played with emotion and enthusiasm," said Anderson. It truly was a turn around in the third quarter. Viking defense held, and Lewistown’s many scores were put to a halt. Patrick Morey finally put the Vikings on the scoreboard carrying the ball across the goal line with five minutes and forty-four seconds left in the quarter. Mike Miller kicked for the extra point. Neither team scored again in the third quarter.

    Fourth quarter came with much anticipation for the Vikings. So far in the second half the Vikings had held the Indians, not letting them get any first downs. While the defensive line held them off, with stops by Fritch, Evans, and freshman Ben Smith, the pressure turned to the offense to close the point gap between the teams. Finally with three minutes left Clayton Carr connected with Goodwin for a twenty-two yard touchdown strike, and Mike Miller went two for two for extra-points, finishing scoring for the game.

    "The next couple of weeks we are going to have to be on our game from the beginning to have a chance," commented Anderson. “Next week, last years defending conference champs, Princeville, will come to town carrying a 3-0 record.” 

            Q1    Q2    Q3    Q4    T

CHS    0    0    7    7    14

LHS    21    7       0    0    28

Team Statistics First downs: CHS 7/ Lwt. 10; Yards Rushing: CHS 40/Lwt. 173; Yards Passing: CHS 66/Lwt.86; Total Yards: CHS 106/Lwt. 259; Penalties-yards: CHS 4-25/Lwt. 2-20; Fumbles lost: CHS 2 lost1/Lwt. 3 lost 2l Interceptions: CHS 0/Lwt.

CHS individual statistics Rushing: (attempts, yardage, average) Morey 20,50,2.55; Walsh 4,12,3; Carr 9,-22,none; Passing: ( comp, att, int, td) Carr 4,17,0,1; Receiving: (pc, yds, td) Root 2,36,0; Goodwin 1,22,1; Lenertz 1,8,0; Tackles: Morey 1, DeKezel 2, Prevost 5, Root 1, Walsh 3, Lenertz 6, Goodwin 8, Kirlin 1, Lavin 4, Fritch 4, A. Johnson 3, Evans 4, Smith 5.