Several teams from region join A-W in football playoffs
The Annawan-Wethersfield Titans will host Rockford Lutheran Saturday in the first round of the Illinois High School Association football playoffs.
The Titans, a no. 5 seed in Class 1A at 7-2 on the season, will host the 12th-seed Crusaders, who finished at 5-4 and qualified for the playoffs with a 21-7 win at Winnebago Friday. The game will start at 1 p.m. Saturday at Wethersfield Memorial Stadium.
The Crusaders are led by quarterback Kyng Hughes, who was 11 for 16 passing for 214 yards against Winnebago. Hughes also made five tackles from his cornerback position.
Other area playoff teams:
- Mercer County, which claimed a share of the conference crown with its 43-0 defeat of the Titans Friday, is also a no. 5 seed, but in Class 2A. They’ll host Bloomington Central Catholic, a 12 seed, in the first round.
- Knoxville, the third conference co-champ, is also in Class 2A, seeded no. 7. They’ll host 10th-seeded Mendon Unity.
- Stark County, a Class 1A 9 seed, will visit ROWVA-Williamsfield, an 8 seed. Both teams finished 5-4 on the season.
- St. Bede Academy will host Forreston in a Class 1A contest between no. 7 and 10 seeds.
- Sterling Newman, whose 5-4 record earned a 13 seed, will visit 4 seed Rockridge in a 2A first-round matchup.
- Princeton, at 9-0, earned a no. 1 seed in Class 3A. They’ll host 5-4 Peotone, a 16 seed.
- In Class 4A, Geneseo made the playoffs as a 16 seed. They’ll travel to Carterville for an opening-round contest.