Galva wins to move to title game; Ridgewood fights, nearly does it

Galva's Dexter Ingels, seen here in Tuesday's win over ROWVA, tallied 31 points to lead Galva past Abingdon/Avon in Wednesday's semifinals of the Class 1A Abingdon Regional, 54-32.

    The semifinal games in the Class 1A Abingdon-Avon Regional on Wednesday were a contrast in styles.

    Top-seeded Kewanee Wethersfield and third-seeded Galva advanced to Friday’s championship game.

    Galva (15-14) beat second-seeded A-Town (16-11) 54-32 in the nightcap after Wethersfield knocked off Ridgewood in a 72-68 thriller.

    Galva turned in a masterful performance on both ends of the floor to end the Tornadoes’ season.

    “I thought we really showed up tonight,” said elated Galva coach Andy Saey. “We executed what we were trying to do, we shared the ball, made some great passes and hard cuts. We are really at our best when everyone gets a touch.”

    “We’re certainly disappointed, especially the seniors who didn’t reach the goal they had set,” said A-Town coach Kent Jones.

    The Tornadoes were ice cold at the start, falling behind 13-6 after a quarter.

    “We had a lot of early good looks but they wouldn’t fall,” said Jones. “I think they sped it up just enough for us to rush things.”

    Limiting A-Town to just four points in the second quarter, the Wildcats built a 27-10 lead at the half. A-Town outscored Galva 9-6 in the third quarter to cut the margin to 14 points but that was a close as they would get.

    Galva put 27 points on the scoreboard in the second half with Dexter Ingels responsible for 23 of those. The senior finished with a game-high 31 points including hitting 11-for-11 at the free throw line.

    Zach Glisan finished with 16 points to lead A-Town but had a tough night against Galva’s box-and-one defense.

    “We definitely keyed on Glisan,” said Saey, who is familiar with the senior, whom he coached on an AAU team in the summer.

    “Zach struggled early and I think got a little frustrated,” said Jones. “We also had trouble getting out in transition to get some easy baskets.

    “We have been looking for other people to step up all season so Zach hasn’t had to do everything. Unfortunately it’s been up and down in that respect.

    Wethersfield 72

    Ridgewood 68

    In the first game, the Flying Geese (28-2) had all they could handle against fourth-seeded Ridgewood (16-12).

    It took a 17-6 run late in the fourth quarter to pull out the win.

    Ridgewood trailed 40-37 early in the third quarter before it went on a 17-4 run to take a a 54-44 lead.

    That’s when Wethersfield’s Trevor Lay took the game over. He scored 10 points over the last 3 1/2 minutes as the Geese rallied for the victory.

    Lay finished with a game-high 47 points.

    “I thought we were better prepared tonight than we were last week when we played them,” said Ridgewood coach Casey Adamson.

    “I’m really proud of my guys and the way they battled back,” said Wethersfield coach Jeff Parsons. “We knew we’d be in for a tough game. They are a very good team.”

    Sam Althaus led the Spartans with 30 points before fouling out late in the game.

    “Tonight was one of his best games of the season,” said Adamson of his junior center.

    Ridge Greenman had 18 points and Joey Lambin finished with 12 for Ridgewood.