Shootings took place Thursday at Virginia Tech University, the site of a 2007 shooting rampage by Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student who shot and killed 32 people. Click inside to see the latest.
Shootings took place Thursday at Virginia Tech University, the site of a 2007 shooting rampage by Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student who shot and killed 32 people.
According to the Virginia Tech website and Twitter account and Twitter accounts of Collegiate Times and Washington Post Local, two people were killed, including a police officer. Here's the latest:
- Press conference (5:17 p.m.): "We don't know the motive." Don't know if it's connected to VT officials being in Washington today to argue fine from 2007 shootings.
- Press conference (5:15 p.m.): "We still don't have the puzzle pieces connected."
- Press conference (5:05 p.m.): Situation not "closed," but it is safe.
- Press conference (5:02 p.m.): Connection to an armed robbery last night is "still a possibility."
- Nick Cafferky (4:58 p.m.): Officers did not shoot the person (assumed shooter). Will not comment on whether man shot himself.
- Press conference (4:58 p.m.): "We're all trying to figure out what's going on. ... There are still unknowns."
- Press conference (4:55 p.m.): Police officer was shot by person who was NOT in the vehicle that was stopped.
- Press conference (4:50 p.m.): Second dead person not being identified at this time either.
- Press conference (4:48 p.m.): State police: Killed officer not being identified at this time. "We feel confident that the situation is under control at this time"
- Press conference (4:46 p.m.): Since second incident, "No founded reports of any threat to the campus." - Dr. Gene Deisinger, police department
- Press conference (4:44 p.m.): "Our hearts are broken again." - Dr. Charles Steger.
- VT Alerts (4:31 p.m.): Law enforcement agencies have determined there is no longer an active threat or need to secure in place. Resume normal activities.
- Collegiate Times (4:15 p.m.): AVP Sims says there is still activity on campus, press conference will be shown to students locked in Squires.
- Collegiate Times RT: (3:58 p.m.): Swat teams checking cars coming in and out of Alumni Mall.
- VT Alerts (3:09 p.m.): Update: Alert remains active; stay where you are. There are no new substantiated reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Status of the shooter remains unknown.
- Collegiate Times (3:02 p.m.): Mood inside Squires lockdown room is fairly calm, talkative. Matt Banfield, undergrad rep to Tech's BOV, commends staff for their work.
- Collegiate Times (3:01 p.m.): Exams scheduled for tomorrow have been postponed, according to Virginia Tech.
- VT Alerts (2:39 p.m.): Media briefing to be held at Schott Media Room at 4:30 p.m. Media are advised to stage and gather at the Schott Media Room in the west side South End Zone, lower level of Lane Stadium. Parking will be in the Track Soccer Lot.
- Collegiate Times (2:36 p.m.): SWAT team has left after searching Squires Student Center. No suspicious persons inside.
- VT Alerts (2:20 p.m.) Update: Shooter's status remains unknown; visitors advised to stay away from campus. Numerous reports have been made recently of sounds identified as gunshots and suspicious activity on campus. These recent reports have been investigated and are unfounded. The suspect's status remains unknown. Several law enforcement agencies are on scene to assist. Please stay where you are and secure your surroundings.
- Collegiate Times (2:17 p.m.): Virginia Tech is on lockdown, many conflicting reports about where suspect may be.
- From VT Alerts (1:49 p.m.): Shortly after noon today, a Virginia Tech police officer stopped a vehicle on campus during a routine traffic stop in the Coliseum parking lot near McComas Hall. During the traffic stop. the officer was shot and killed. There were witnesses to this shooting. Witnesses reported to police the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased. Several law enforcement agencies have responded to assist. Virginia State Police has been requested to take lead in the investigation. The status of the shooter is unknown. The campus community should continue to shelter in place and visitors should not come to campus.
- Collegiate TImes (1:57 p.m.): VT releases report: Suspect killed police officer in Coliseum Lot, then fled toward Cage. Second victim was killed in parking lot.
- Collegiate Times (1:51 p.m.): To be clear, latest reports of suspect were near Performing Arts building moving to Torgersen, but no arrest has been made.
- From VT Alerts (1:12 p.m.): Suspect remains at large. A police officer has been shot. A potential second victim is reported at the Cage lot. Stay indoors. Secure in place.
- From VT Alerts (12:47 p.m.): Suspect described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack. On foot towards McComas. Call 911
- From VT Alerts (12:37 p.m.): Gun shots reported- Coliseum Parking lot. Stay Inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.